2013 #YearInReview: Music Pt. 1
As the year comes to a close, so does a whole year of music. We went through a LOT of one-hit wonders and some songs that just wouldn’t leave us alone (see “Harlem Shake” or “The Fox,” even though I still thoroughly enjoy the latter…). Here is MY Top 50 of the year, based on my iTunes play counts. Don’t judge :)
(52, 51 AND) 50.) played 89 times
- “Your Drums, Your Love” by AlunaGeorge
- “Dark Horse” by Katy Perry (see my write-up HERE)
- “Swimming Pools (Drank) (Extended Version)” by Kendrick Lamar
49, 48 AND 47.) played 90 times
- “F For You” by Disclosure
- “Hold On, We’re Going Home” by Drake Feat. Majid Jordan
- “Gold Trans Am” by Ke$ha
46.) played 92 times
45 AND 44.) played 93 times
- “Give It 2 U” by Robin Thicke Feat. Kendrick Lamar (see my write-up HERE)
- “Suit & Tie” by Justin Timberlake Feat. Timbaland (see my write-up HERE)
43, 42, 41, 40 AND 39.) played 95 times
- “Under Control” by Alesso w/ Calvin Harris & Feat. Hurts
- “Heart Attack” by Demi Lovato
- “Good For You” by Icona Pop
- “G.U.Y. (Girl Under You)” by Lady GaGa (see my write-up HERE)
- “$$$EX (Inspired by the film ‘Spring Breakers‘)” by Vanessa Hudgens Vs. Y.LA
38 AND 37.) played 97 times
- “Do What U Want” by Lady GaGa Feat. R. Kelly (see my write-up HERE)
- “Bulletproof/Release Me (From the ‘Pitch Perfect‘ Soundtrack)” originally by La Roux and Agnes
36, 35 AND 34.) played 99 times
- “Warm Water” by BANKS (both the album and SnakeHips remix)
- “Applause” by Lady GaGa (see my write-up HERE)
- “#Beautiful” by Mariah Carey Feat. Miguel
33 AND 32.) played 102 times
- “Get Lucky” by Daft Punk Feat. Pharrell Williams
- “How We Do (Party)” by Rita Ora –> Okay so this one obviously came out last year, but I hadn’t heard of it until December 2012 :(
31.) played 104 times
30.) played 105 times
29 AND 28.) played 108 times
- “Venus” by Azealia Banks w/ Paul Oakenfold
- “Pusher Love Girl” by Justin Timberlake Feat. Timbaland (see my write-up HERE)
27.) played 109 times
26 AND 25.) played 111 times
24 AND 23.) played 117 times
- “All Night” by Icona Pop (see my write-up HERE)
- “What About Us” by The Saturdays (see my write-up HERE)
22.) played 119 times
21.) played 120 times
AND THE TOP 20:
20.) played 121 times
The one song from Pt. 1 that should have been the third single, instead of that atrocity known as “Tunnel Vision.” (Mind you, “Vision” is a good song, it was just overshadowed by other amazing songs and a “what are you doing right now” moment for JT regarding the video) Click here to view my write-up on the song.
19.) played 130 times
- “Cliché (Hush Hush)” by Alexandra Stan
I still can’t skip this song when it comes on my shuffle. Click here to view my write-up on the song.
18 AND 17.) played 131 times
This song. I still can’t get over how infectious it is. From the first “Mmmm-hm-mm-mm” (my terrible interpretation of the first voiced melody), I immediately get hooked and have to listen to the whole song. Duke really did well when creating this simplistic yet stunning beat, and of course A*M*E slayed on this track. It’s no wonder that A*M*E is one of the people to look out for in 2014.
Where do I begin? This remix really breathed in a whole new life to the song. Being one of my most-played songs from last year, it was refreshing to hear a new interpretation to change it all up. The best part was that it kept the artistic integrity of the original, while allowing listeners to
not want to slit their wrists dance through the sad lyrics that haunt Lana’s dreams.
16.) played 132 times
Amazing. I can’t even begin to write any more about how this song brings me to tears when I watch the video or how it is such a powerful love song. Click here to view my write-up on the song.
15.) played 134 times
Within the first few moments of listening, I already knew I was too powerless for Miguel’s overwhelming seduction techniques present on “Adorn.” This song just makes you want to cuddle up with anyone, whether it be that perfect first date or that idiot you wasted a lot of time on. Either way, this song has a way of making me belt out while driving, “LET MY LOVE ADORN YOU, BAY-BAY!”
14 AND 13.) played 141 times
- “Body Party” by Ciara
I mean, it samples “My Boo,” one of my ALL-TIME favorite R&B throwbacks from the ’90s. And throw in what seems to be Ciara’s best slow-to-mid-tempo R&B song since “Promise,” and you get this masterpiece.
- “Birthday” by Selena Gomez
Hypnotic beat. Check. Disney princess coming into her own. Check. Makes me feel like I need to take a shower if I listen to it more than five times in an hour. Check. I’d say Selena grew up and shed her precious image really well and with a song like “Birthday” to help set the tone for her pretty amazing LP Stars Dance, she showed everyone that she’s a force to be reckoned with in the pop sphere.
12.) played 142 times
- “Standing On The Sun” by Beyoncé
It may have been the tropical sounds or even the fact that it sounded as if Beyoncé was not calculating every single move she had done with
this album release whatever this was supposed to be since this song didn’t even end up on an LP. As a cross-promotion for herself and the album that was not meant to be (whatever was supposed to be before her Beyoncé amazingness) and the clothing store H&M, Beyoncé released a thirty-second version of this song, but of course the demo leaked almost immediately. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. 142 times to be exact.
11.) played 143 times
- “Skirt” by Kylie Minogue
I love everything Kylie does. So this high charting should not be that much of a surprise. Click here to view my write-up on the song.
Overall, this has been a pretty great year for music. Stay tuned for my top 10!